Day 3 Kota Kinabalu: Fish Market & Self BBQ-ing at Tanjung Aru Beach

Good Morning! I have to start this entry by wishing "Good Morning" because we start our 3rd day in Kota Kinabalu the earliest. The plan for the day is going to the Fish Market, buy some fresh seafood and grill it by our own by using the stuffs that we bought on the night before.

But beforehand, we went for breakfast at another restaurant with name Kedai Kopi Kinabalu. We ordered a Laksa Kuching which we finally discovered that the Laksa Yee Fung (In Yee Fung Kedai Kopi) have the sama taste which we concluded that this is Laksa Kuching.

So, we bough a fish, few grams of prawns, some squids and clams. How much does it cost? Fairly cheaper than the price of those seafood that we discovered on our first day in KK. The price for the fish that we bough was around RM20 at the open air restaurant, but only RM8 in the market. The squid that we ate 2 days ago was RM18 for four, but we only pay RM6 for eight squids in the wet market. Isn't that interesting. You pay cheaper and grill it by your own.

So, what is next? From the Fish Market, we move to the Pasar Besar Kota Kinabalu to buy soy sauce to marinate the seafood, salt, lemon and some chilies.

 Then, we walked to the Marina (I forgot if they called it Marina Waterfront) to catch bus No. 16C to Tanjung Aru Beach. After almost 30 minutes waiting, our bus arrive and immediately leave for Tanjung Aru Beach. Some info about this bus, the ticket is RM2 from KK Centre to Tanjung Aru Beach, it is air conditioned and will directly stop at the entrance of Tanjung Aru public beach. The bus also will stop at Terminal 2 of Kota Kinabalu International Airport which is the terminal for Air Asia carrier too.

Immediately when we arrived to Tanjung Aru Beach, it was burning hot and yet  very windy. Without hesitation, I set the fire for immediate grilling as my stomach start to mumble. I marinated the squid and prawn with soysauce and salt, then immediately I grilled it. One good and bad thing about BBQ by the beach side is, you don't have to keep blowing the charcoal to make the fire as the wind really will help you up. But the challenge is you will need some luck to start the fire itself (which is I have that luck).

The fish was fresh, fleshy and yummy. Ah! I'm so enjoy it actually. The prawn and the squid also was nicely done. The best part is to prepare the clams before we swallow it all. Well basically, once the clams ready, the shell will open by its own which is mean, you can remove it from the fire.

Inspired by Quan Oc in Vietnam, I garnished my clams with lemon, chopped peanuts, soy sauce, Chinese parsley and lemon. I tell you what, it was so tasty when the taste of the fresh clam mix with the lemon and soy sauce.

I think we spent almost 4 hours at Tanjung Aru beach, but the extremely burning weather don't allow us to be swim or walk along the beach side. Enough with resting, BBQing and chilling while enjoy those grilled seafood.

Done with everything, we pack our things and wait for bus No. 16C again and take a 15 minutes journey to the Marina. 


Popular Posts