The Italian Gelato, Takashimaya, Singapore & The Case Study

Italian Gelato? What is that? 

I was in Singapore for a business trip with my housemate and we walked thru the lower ground of Takashimaya to cool ourselves from the humid and burning Singapore. Then, we accidentally stopped at this Italian Gelato & Coffee (I would say a kiosk or mini bar) which is located very near with a bakery and water fountain there. 




Without hesitating, I ordered 2 gelatos for us, Forest Berries flavour for me and Mango flavour for my housemate. Well, this is my first gelato in my life and I think it taste pure, flavourful and yum! Since the temperature in the Takashimaya is very chill, our gelato was not easily melting too. 

Other than strawberry & mango flavour, they have other flavours too such as Green Apple, Cookies & Cream, Apple Pie (which is the flavour of the week), Mama Cookies (which is special of the day) and many more.





Okay. So back to my earlier question. What is Italian Gelato? 

Actually, it is a twist tongue language. Gelato is the Italian word for icecream which derived from the Latin word, gelatus. In English, Gelato is commonly refers to the varieties of ice cream made in a traditional Italian style (Source: Wikipedia)

So, why don't we just call it an ice cream then? And here is what blog.foodnetwork.com say. 

Creaminess: Gelato is creamier, smoother & silkier compared to the American ice cream. Just like what i tasted before. 

Ingredients: Both Gelato & Ice Cream contain cream, milk & sugar. The authentic gelato use more milk and less cream then an ice cream. The Gelato is generally doesn;t use eggyolk compared to normal ice cream.

Serving style: Authentic Italian Gelato isn't scopped. it's served with spade. Dig it?

Temperature: Italian Gelato is served about 10F to 15F warmer than normal American ice cream at about 7F to 12F. So, your mouth is less numb and be able to taste it better. 

So, previously I just don't care if it is an ice cream or Gelato. But now, I will choose Gelato to fulfill my sweet tooth craving. 

I wonder, where could I get the best Italian Gelato in Kuala Lumpur. 



Comments

Popular Posts